- You're currently using the norwegian version of Biaton.
- Use the english version.
Last updated MAY 2018
Thank you for using Biaton!
- The Data Controller is Biaton, AS, please find Biaton's Data Protection Policy here.
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
There are three general categories of information we collect.
1.1 Information You Give Us.
We collect information you share with us when you use the Biaton Platform.
- Account Information. When you sign up for an Biaton Account, we require certain information such as your name, email address, and date of birth.
- Profile Information. To use certain features within the Biaton Platform, we may also ask you to complete a profile, which may include your address, phone number, and gender. Certain parts of your profile (like your profile picture, first name, and description) are a part of your public profile page, and will be publicly visible to others.
- Other Authentication-Related Information. To help create and maintain a trusted environment, we may collect identification (like a photo of your government-issued ID) or other authentication information.
- Communications with Biaton and other Members. When you communicate with Biaton or use the Biaton Platform to communicate with other Members, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
- Other Information. You may otherwise choose to provide us information when you fill in a form, conduct a search, update or add information to your Biaton Account, respond to surveys, post to community forums, participate in promotions, or use other features of the Biaton Platform.
1.2 Information We Automatically Collect from Your Use of the Biaton Platform.
When you use the Biaton Platform, we collect information about the services you use and how you use them.
- Usage Information. We collect information about your interactions with the Biaton Platform, such as the pages or other content you view, your searches for Listings, bookings you have made, and other actions on the Biaton Platform.
- Location Information. When you use certain features of the Biaton Platform, we may collect different types of information about your general location (e.g. IP address, zip code) or more specific location information (e.g. precise location from your mobile GPS). Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings menu.
- Log Data. We automatically collect log information when you use the Biaton Platform, even if you have not created an Biaton Account or logged in. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the Biaton Platform (including links to third party applications), IP address, access times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information (e.g., crashes, browser type), and the page you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the Biaton Platform.
- Transaction Information. We collect information related to your transactions on the Biaton Platform, including the date and time, amounts charged, and other related transaction details.
1.3 Information We Collect from Third Parties.
We may collect information that others provide about you when they use the Biaton Platform, or obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the Biaton Platform.
- Third Party Services. If you link, connect, or login to your Biaton Account with a third party service (e.g., Facebook, WeChat), the third party service may send us information such as your registration and profile information from that service. This information varies and is controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
- Your References. If someone has written a reference for you, it will be published on your Biaton public profile page.
- Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you, such as demographic data or fraud detection information, from third party service providers and/or partners, and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive background check results or fraud warnings from service providers like identity verification services for our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts. We may receive information about you and your activities on and off the Biaton Platform through partnerships, or about your experiences and interactions from our partner ad networks.
2. HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use, store, and process information about you to provide, understand, improve, and develop the Biaton Platform, and to create and maintain a trusted and safer environment.
2.1 Provide, Improve, and Develop the Biaton Platform.
- Enable you to access and use the Biaton Platform.
- Enable you to communicate with other Members.
- Operate, protect, improve and optimize the Biaton Platform and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research.
- Personalize or otherwise customize your experience by, among other things, ranking search results or showing ads based on your search, booking history, and preferences.
- Enable you to access and use the Payment Services.
- Provide customer service.
- Send you service or support messages, such as updates, security alerts, and account notifications.
- If you provide us with your contacts’ information, we may use and store this information: (i) to facilitate your referral invitations, (ii) send your requests for references, (iii) for fraud detection and prevention, and (iv) for any purpose you authorize at the time of collection.
2.2 Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment.
- Detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct investigations and risk assessments.
- Verify or authenticate information or identifications provided by you (such as to verify your Accommodation address or compare your identification photo to another photo you provide).
- Conduct checks against databases and other information sources.
- Comply with our legal obligations.
- Resolve any disputes with any of our users and enforce our agreements with third parties.
- Enforce our Terms of Service, Payments Terms, and other policies.
2.3 Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing.
- Send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your communication preferences (including information about Biaton or partner campaigns and services).
- Personalize, measure, and improve advertising.
- Administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Biaton or its third party business partners.
3. SHARING & DISCLOSURE
3.1 With Your Consent.
We may share your information at your direction or as described at the time of sharing, such as when you authorize a third party application or website to access your Biaton Account.
3.2 Sharing between providers, buyers and Co-providers.
To help facilitate bookings, we may share your information with other Members as follows:
- When you as a buyer submit a booking request, certain information about you is shared with the provider (and Co-provider, if applicable), including your full name, the full name of any additional buyers, your cancellation history, and other information you agree to share. When your booking is confirmed, we will disclose additional information to assist with coordinating the trip, like your phone number.
- When you as a provider (or Co-provider, if applicable) have a confirmed booking, certain information is shared with the buyer to coordinate the booking, such as your full name, and Accommodation or Experience address.
- When you as a provider invite another Member to become a Co-provider, you authorize the Co-provider to access your information and Member Content, including but not limited to certain information like your full name, phone number, Accommodation address, and email address.
- We don’t share your billing and payout information with other Members.
3.3 Profiles, Listings, and other Public Information.
The Biaton Platform lets you publish information that is visible to the general public. For example:
- Parts of your public profile page, such as your first name, your description, and city, are publicly visible to others.
- Public Listing pages are publicly visible and include information such as the Accommodation or Experience’s approximate location (neighborhood and city), Listing description, calendar availability, the provider public profile photo, aggregated demand information (like page views over a period of time), and any additional information the provider chooses to share.
- After completing a booking, buyers and providers may write reviews and rate each other. Reviews are a part of your public profile page.
- If you submit content in a public forum or social media post, or use a similar feature on the Biaton Platform, that content is publicly visible.
Information you share publicly on the Biaton Platform may be indexed through third party search engines. In some cases, you may opt-out of this feature in your Account settings. If you change your settings or your public-facing content, these search engines may not update their databases. We do not control the practices of third party search engines, and they may use caches containing your outdated information.
3.4 Service Providers.
3.4.1 Our Authentication Provider - city.live
3.5 Additional Services by providers.
providers may use third party services available through the Biaton Platform to assist with managing their Accommodation or providing additional services, such as cleaning services or lock providers. providers may use features on the Biaton Platform to share information about the buyer (like check-in and check-out dates, buyer name, buyer phone number, and buyer anonymized email address) with that third party service provider for the purposes of coordinating the stay, managing the Accommodation, or delivering other services.
Biaton may share your personal information to: (i) provide the Payment Services, (ii) facilitate your use of the Biaton Platform, and (iii) jointly market products or services to you with other financial third parties with whom Biaton Payments has a formal agreement. You can unsubscribe or opt-out from receiving such marketing communications in your Account settings.
3.7 Safety and Compliance with Law.
Biaton may disclose your information to courts, law enforcement or governmental authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required to do so by law or if such disclosure is reasonably necessary: (i) to comply with legal process and to respond to claims asserted against Biaton, (ii) to respond to verified requests relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal liability, (iii) to enforce and administer our Terms of Service or other agreements with Members, (iv) for fraud investigation and prevention, risk assessment, customer support, product development and debugging purposes, or (v) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Biaton, its employees, its Members, or members of the public.
We will attempt to notify Members about these requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon Biaton’s property, its Members and the Platform (collectively, "Risk Scenarios"). In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we will attempt to notify that Member about the request after the fact if we determine in good faith that we are no longer legally prohibited from doing so and that no Risk Scenarios apply.
To learn more about our personal data protection policies and procedures specific to how Biaton is complying with the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation, please review Biaton's Data Protection Policy here.
3.8 Corporate Affiliates.
To help us provide the Biaton Platform, we may share your information within our corporate family of companies (both financial and non-financial entities) that are related by common ownership or control.
We may display parts of the Biaton Platform (e.g., your Listing page) on sites operated by Biaton’s business partners, using technologies such as widgets or APIs. If your Listings are displayed on a partner’s site, information from your public profile page may also be displayed.
3.10 Tax Authorities.
In jurisdictions where we facilitate the Collection and Remittance of Occupancy Taxes as described in the "Taxes" section of the Terms of Service, providers and buyers expressly grant us permission, without further notice, to disclose providers’ and buyers’ data and other information relating to them or to their transactions, bookings, Accommodations and Occupancy Taxes to the relevant tax authority, including, but not limited to, the provider or buyer’s name, listing addresses, transaction dates and amounts, tax identification number(s), the amount of taxes received (or due) by providers from buyers, and contact information.
3.11 Business Transfers.
3.12 Aggregated Data.
We may also share aggregated information (information about our users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and non-personally identifiable information for industry and market analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
4. OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
4.1 Analyzing your Communications.
We may review, scan, or analyze your communications on the Biaton Platform for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other websites. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyze messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible. However, occasionally we may need to manually review some communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyze your communications to send third party marketing messages to you, and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
4.2 Linking Third Party Accounts.
You may link your Biaton Account with your account at a third party social networking service. Your contacts on these third party services are referred to as "Friends." When you create this link:
- some of the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be published on your Biaton Account profile;
- your activities on the Biaton Platform may be displayed to your Friends on the Biaton Platform and/or that third party site;
- a link to your public profile on that third party social networking service may be included in your Biaton public profile;
- other Biaton users may be able to see any common Friends that you may have with them, or that you are a Friend of their Friend if applicable;
- other Biaton users may be able to see any schools, hometowns or other groups you have in common with them as listed on your linked social networking service;
- the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be stored, processed and transmitted for fraud prevention and risk assessment purposes; and
- the publication and display of information that you provide to Biaton through this linkage is subject to your settings and authorizations on the Biaton Platform and the third party site.
4.3 Google Maps/Earth.
5. THIRD PARTY PARTNERS & INTEGRATIONS
The Biaton Platform may contain links to third party websites or services, such as third party integrations, co-branded services, or third party-branded services ("Third Party Partners"). Biaton doesn’t own or control these Third Party Partners and when you interact with them, you may be providing information directly to the Third Party Partner, Biaton, or both. These Third Party Partners will have their own rules about the collection, use, and disclosure of information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of the other websites you visit.
6. YOUR CHOICES
6.1 Access and Update.
You may review, update, or delete the information in your Biaton Account by logging into your Biaton Account and reviewing your Account settings and profile.
6.2 Account Cancellation.
For information on how to cancel your Biaton Account, visit biaton.no. Note that information that you have shared with others (like Reviews or forum postings) may continue to be publicly visible on the Biaton Platform in association with your first name, even after your Biaton Account is cancelled.
7. OPERATING GLOBALLY
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration. However, the Internet is not a 100% secure environment so we can’t guarantee the security of the transmission or storage of your information.